Pages

Friday, June 24, 2011

MAG COVERS: RAVEN SYMONE on 'Rolling Out'


 Raven-Symoné covers the latest issue of Rolling Out magazine and she dishes on her new series, her weight loss, her love life and what her legacy will be.


On her new show The Great State of Georgia: The show focuses on the problems you can go through when auditioning and being rejected and, sometimes, accepted. It’s a good journey that my character, Georgia, goes through with a friend and her aunt, which is played by Loretta Devine. I find it interesting that I’m doing a role that mirrored my younger life when I moved from Georgia to New York. This is more of a sophisticated comedy, but we don’t take away from the fun aspect of it.


On being the star as a teenager:
I was 15 when I started filming and dealing with adults in an adult way. I also had the burden of 200 people’s paychecks in my hands. So, there was no sickness, lateness, no messing up or laziness. There is a sacrifice you have to make. The friends that are still with me, they know what I deal with. Learning from Bill Cosby, Eddie Murphy and Mark Curry, the cast never put it all on me. I learned to be honest and know that there are so many people that make it happen. Being labeled a “boss” at 15 is a lot of stress. That’s why I walked away.




On what the Raven-Symoné’s legacy will be: I want people to say, “She made me laugh and brightened my day. As a brand, she kept in mind the different flavors in the world.” And I want people to know that I was always honest and told the truth.

On guys being intimidated by her success: I guess guys do find me intimidating because they don’t come up to talk to me. I have to go to them. If I do talk to a guy, they understand who I am. I work from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. After that, I don’t talk about work. It’s all about the person the camera never sees.

On losing weight:
During “That’s So Raven,” I dealt with stress that an average 15-year-old might not go through, and my body showed those stresses on the outside. Doctors say that stress kills and that stress manifests itself in different ways. For me, and the way my genes are, I happened to get a little thicker. After “That’s So Raven” ended, the weight of the world was off of my shoulders. I was able to look at what was going on with me, instead of finding comfort in things that might not be the healthiest. By releasing those issues, my stress went away internally as well as externally.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

,