Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

MUSIC NEWS: Ashanti talks new Album & how the Industry has Changed


Ashanti has been surveying the changes in the industry, looking for the right timing to return. Along with a planned new album, the “Rock With You” hitmaker is also prepping Film and TV spots as well as a book deal.

“The first thing I plan is being focused, clearing my head, understanding and adapting. Like I said, the industry, the economy is completely different than 2002, when I first came out,” says Ashanti. “We’re surrounded by different people, radio has changed, labels have changed, strategic formulas have changed, so it’s about adapting to what that is. I think the first step is definitely staying true to yourself. My passion is music, I love writing music but music is dying so you have to have other outlets to continue to build that brand because that’s the focus. So you line up film, you line up television, you line up books and it’s all about timing and aligning the stars and having the right people behind you and knowing what you want. I think it’s really important to own. I’m on that path [right now]. If I’m doing something, I need to own half of that; I need the executive produce that, I need to collect that check and have my creative input.

She adds: “Everything that I just mentioned, film, television, music, books, is all in the works. We’ve been lining things up for the past almost 2 ½-3 years. It gets a little frustrating because I’m the type of person I want to see results right now. I want to do it now, I want it to happen right now. But in order for it to be as big as it possibly can, you have to build that platform and that was one of the hardest things to wait. Everything that I’ve spoken about we’ve been in development with [for awhile].” 


 Ashanti spotted shopping for jewelry at the Simone I. Smith Jewelry trunk show in support of LL Cool J’s wife at Shag in New York City.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

,